|Black-tip reef shark in Lankanfushi lagoon|
Up till today many species of sharks and manta rays are still being slaughtered in their millions yearly, all of that for inconsiderate cultural or unproven medicinal purposes. These animals are long living, slow growing and reproduce slowly. Without strict regulations they will eventually be driven to extinction. Animal consumption may represent tradition/beliefs, but in this case it is unsustainable, and should be stopped before it is too late. Manta rays and sharks are the top diver/snorkeler attractions and therefore are extremely valuable to tourism, which can be a sustainable economical alternative to the destructive fishing.
For those of us who care about the future of our Oceans lets reach as many signatures as we can before the 3rd of March, and finally get the so needed shark and manta regulations in place. Sign and share, spread the word !
ACT NOW - SIGN THE PETITION HERE. (Avaaz is a trusted petition website).
Great organisations such as ProjectAWARE, SharkSavers, MantaTrust and many others, have stood up for these magnificent animals. Gili Lankanfushi joins the movement by supporting the petition initiated by our marine biologist; which will be electronically sent to CITES, as a measure to encourage the Conference of Parties to vote for the crucial for shark and manta protection.
We declare a shark and manta ray week at Gili Lankanfushi:
- Guests are invited to come to the Dive Centre to sign the electronic petition.
- We will theme most of our dives and snorkels this week towards shark awareness and take our guests to see the sharks !
- On Wednesday and Saturday we will have shark and ray themed presentations.
- We shall screen environmental awareness movies related to sharks and manta rays at Dive Centre.
- We invite everyone to join the movement, and dedicate this week to shark and manta ray awareness !